What is Coinsurance?

Coinsurance in insurance is a provision that requires policyholders to share the costs of covered services with the insurance company. It is a form of risk-sharing where the policyholder and the insurer each bear a percentage of the covered expenses after the deductible has been met. The coinsurance ratio represents the percentage of costs that the policyholder is responsible for, while the insurance company covers the remaining percentage.

How Coinsurance Works?

  1. Deductible: Before coinsurance comes into play, the policyholder is generally required to meet a deductible. This is the initial amount the policyholder must pay out of pocket before the insurance coverage takes effect.

  2. Coinsurance Ratio: Once the deductible is met, the coinsurance ratio determines the percentage of covered expenses that the policyholder is responsible for. For example, if the coinsurance ratio is 80/20, the policyholder pays 20% of covered expenses, and the insurance company covers the remaining 80%.

  3. Out-of-Pocket Maximum: There is often a limit on the total out-of-pocket costs a policyholder must bear in a policy period. Once this out-of-pocket maximum is reached, the insurance company typically covers all remaining covered expenses.

Suppose a health insurance policy has a ₹1,000 deductible, an 80/20 coinsurance ratio, and a ₹5,000 out-of-pocket maximum. If the policyholder incurs ₹10,000 in covered medical expenses:

  • The policyholder pays the ₹1,000 deductible out of pocket.
  • After the deductible, the coinsurance applies, with the policyholder responsible for 20% of the remaining ₹9,000 (which is $1,800).
  • The total out-of-pocket cost for the policyholder is ₹1,000 (deductible) + ₹1,800 (coinsurance) = ₹2,800.

Importance of Coinsurance

  1. Risk Sharing: Coinsurance encourages policyholders to have a financial stake in their insurance coverage, promoting responsible use of healthcare services.

  2. Cost Control: By sharing the costs with policyholders, insurers can help control premium costs, making insurance more affordable for individuals and businesses.

  3. Prevention of Overutilization: Policyholders are less likely to overuse medical services when they have to contribute a percentage of the costs, preventing unnecessary expenses.


  1. Choosing Coinsurance Ratio: Insured individuals and businesses can often choose from different coinsurance ratios when selecting an insurance plan. Higher coinsurance ratios generally result in lower premium costs but higher out-of-pocket expenses.

  2. Understanding Policy Terms: It's crucial for policyholders to thoroughly understand the terms of coinsurance, including the deductible, coinsurance ratio, and out-of-pocket maximum, to make informed decisions about their insurance coverage.

  3. Types of Insurance: Coinsurance is commonly found in health insurance policies, but it can also apply to property insurance, where the property owner shares a percentage of covered losses.

Copay vs Coinsurance

Here are the key distinctions between copay and coinsurance:

DefinitionFixed, predetermined amount paid for a specific service.Percentage of covered costs paid by the policyholder after the deductible is met.
Payment StructureFixed dollar amount.Percentage of the total covered costs.
Predictability of CostsPredictable, as the amount is fixed.Variable, as it depends on the total cost of the service.
ExamplesOffice visits, prescription drugs, routine services.Major medical expenses, surgeries, hospital stays.
ApplicabilityCommon for routine and predictable expenses.Common for significant and unpredictable expenses.
DeductibleMay or may not be subject to the deductible, depending on the plan.Typically applies after the deductible is met.
Out-of-Pocket MaximumMay or may not count toward the out-of-pocket maximum, depending on the plan.Usually contributes to the out-of-pocket maximum.

Coinsurance is a mechanism that aligns the interests of policyholders and insurers by promoting cost-sharing and responsible utilization of insurance benefits. Understanding the terms of coinsurance is essential for individuals and businesses to effectively manage their financial exposure to covered expenses.

Open a free account and start investing

Top Mutual Funds

3Y Returns

Nippon India Mutual Fundimage

Nippon India CPSE ETF

AUM:  42,632 Cr
Kotak Mahindra Mutual Fundimage

Kotak Nifty PSU Bank ETF

AUM:  1,478 Cr
ICICI Prudential Mutual Fundimage

ICICI Prudential Bharat 22 ETF

AUM:  18,904 Cr
ICICI Prudential Mutual Fundimage

ICICI Prudential Bharat 22 FOF

AUM:  1,577 Cr
Get your portfolio reviewed for free

Popular Calculators