What is PAN?
A PAN (permanent account number) is an identity document that is essential for those filing tax returns or carrying out financial transactions such as opening bank accounts and Demat accounts. The PAN card is issued by the Income Tax Department of the Government of India with a unique, 10-digit alphanumeric code assigned to every individual registered under it. It serves as proof not only of identity but also income and assets.
How to apply for PAN card online?
To apply for a PAN card online, you will need to follow these steps:
- Visit the website of the Income Tax Department of India (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home) and click on the link for "New PAN application" under the "Quick Links" section on the homepage.
- On the next page, select the option for "Application Type" as "Individual".
- Select the category for "PAN application type" as "New PAN - Indian Citizen (Form 49A)".
- Enter your personal details, such as your name, date of birth, and contact information, in the form provided.
- Upload the required documents, such as proof of identity and proof of address, in the prescribed format.
- Review the information you have provided and submit the form.
- You will then be redirected to a payment page, where you can pay the fee for the PAN card application using a credit card, debit card, or net banking.
- Once the payment is successful, you will receive an acknowledgment receipt with a 15-digit acknowledgment number. You can use this number to track the status of your PAN card application online.
It typically takes around 10-15 days for the PAN card to be issued after the application is submitted. You can check the status of your application on the Income Tax Department website using the acknowledgment number.
How to download pan card
To download a PAN card, you will need to follow these steps:
- Visit the website of the Income Tax Department of India (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home) and click on the link for "Download PAN card" under the "Quick Links" section on the homepage.
- On the next page, enter your PAN number and other details, such as your date of birth or mobile number, in the form provided.
- Click on the "Submit" button to generate an OTP (one-time password) on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in the space provided and click on the "Submit" button.
- Your PAN card will be displayed on the next page. You can download it by clicking on the "PDF" button and entering your date of birth as the password.